Monday, 15 June 2015

Fire disaster: candle fire killed 3 siblings

A fire accident sparked a candle-lit has killed three children of the parents in Egbeda-Akowonjo area of Lagos State.

The incident occurred Saturday night, June 13, around 10 p.m., at No 20, Fakoya St, . Vulcaniser Bus Stop, Egbeda Akowonjo.

The fire consumed the siblings alongside their three-room-self-contain apartment.

The three kids were identified as, Ifeoma, 9;Emeka, 7; and Udeoma, 3.

The Director of Lagos State Fire Service, Razak Fadipe, confirmed the tragedy to NAN in Lagos on Sunday, June 14.

Fadipe said that the fire broke after the father of the children had gone to check his wife, the mother of the children, in the hospital, where she had just given birth to their fourth child.

He said that the fire service was not called to the scene on time, and advised people to stop the use of candle to lit their house.

“We got a distress call and when we got there, we discovered that, it was a building that was on fire.

"The building is located at No 20, Fakoya St, . Vulcaniser Bus Stop, Egbeda Akowonjo, a suburb of Lagos.

“The fire was caused by a candle, which was lit by their father, while he went to see his wife and the family’s new baby in the hospital," he said.

Fadipe said that the charred body of the dead children had been removed to a mortuary by the police from Shasha Division.

The fire service boss appealed to people in Lagos to desist from using candle in their homes, as it could be very dangerous.

No comments: